Vol. 18, State D
October 9, 2001
Health Insurance Benefits for National Guard and Military
Reserve Personnel on Unpaid Military Leave
Extended Group Health Insurance coverage is available for National
Guard and Military Reserve personnel who are on an unpaid military
leave of absence or who are eligible for reemployment under §45.50
Wis. Stats., when they are called to active duty, if eligible as
You must offer health insurance coverage indefinitely to these
employees and the state share toward premium payment will continue
beyond the three months that normally would be allowed under the
leave of absence (LOA) provision. These employees (or designated
representatives) can elect to:
- Continue health insurance coverage indefinitely while on leave
and establish pre-payment of premiums. Employer contributions
toward premiums are required as long as the employee is on active
duty and any employee contributions continue to be paid.
- Let their coverage lapse after being activated for military
service due to non-payment of premium and reinstate coverage while
on leave by filing an application (ET-2301) within 60 days of
- Allow their coverage to lapse and reapply within 30 days of
return to employment (provided employment resumes within 90 days
after release from active military service).
To be eligible, an employee must:
- Be insured under the Group Health Insurance plan and be receiving
state contributions for health insurance coverage on the date
he or she is activated for military duty, AND
- Be a member of:
- The Wisconsin National Guard.
- A reservist component of the United States Armed Forces,
- Be recalled to active duty (other than for training purposes)
from inactive reserve status. AND
- Submit election form, ET-2350, to employer within 60 days after
Attached to this Employer Bulletin is the Health Insurance Election for Military Personnel
form (ET-2350 REV 10/2001), to be used by employees (or designated
representatives) to make their election. The form is available on
our Employer Forms and Brochures Menu located on our Internet site
at badger.state.wi.us/agencies/etf. Instructions for processing
the election form, ET-2350, are provided below.
Employer Instructions for the process:
- Provide election form ET-2350 to employees who are called to
active duty and will begin a military leave of absence. Group
Health Insurance coverage can be also continued indefinitely if
your employee is terminating employment under §45.50.
- Receive signed and dated election form. The election form should
be returned even if continued coverage is not being elected.
- Provide subscriber or designated representative with a photocopy
of the completed election form as an acknowledgment.
- Keep the original election form for your records.
- Submit a photocopy of the election form to ETF. The Group
Health Insurance Application (ET-2301) must be submitted
also if coverage lapses and employee desires to reinstate coverage.
Election to reinstate must be made within 60 days of activation.
Each Group Health Insurance Application, (ET-2301), completed
for an employee who is reinstating coverage, should be completed
by checking the box "other" and indicating "40.05(4g)"
as the reason for filing.
Employee (or Designated Representative) Instructions
for the process:
- Complete election form, ET-2350 and return to the payroll representative
within 60 days after activation. If coverage is allowed to lapse
during the unpaid leave of absence, coverage can be reinstated
during the leave of absence, if a subsequent election form, ET-2350
and Group Health Insurance Application (ET-2301) is submitted
within 60 days of activation.
Please direct questions to the Employer Communication Center at