The Financial Fitness Program is a free financial education and awareness program designed to help you take control of your financial future and improve your financial well-being. Offered to Wisconsin state and local government employees, it consists of a confidential and secure online survey to assess and benchmark financial aptitude, habits, and confidence. After completing the survey you'll receive a financial fitness score and, based on your results, recommendations for selecting among hundreds of online tools and tutorials (the Financial Fitness ACADEMY), and the option of using a financial advisor from Ameriprise Financial for up to 30 days at no cost. You learn at your own pace in as little as 10 minutes a day.
The program contains three steps... take one at a time or ALL at once – the choice is yours!
1. The Financial Fitness CHECKUP. This is a quick online survey that assesses and benchmarks your financial aptitude, habits, and confidence. After completing the survey, you will receive a Financial Fitness SCORE (1-10 scale).
2. The Financial Fitness ACADEMY. Based on your Financial Fitness SCORE, you will also receive recommendations and an offer to enroll in a tailored selection of online learning tutorials for the Financial Fitness ACADEMY (a $200 value). Using the tutorials can help improve your financial fitness. The tutorials cover topics such as debt management, budgeting, investments, and retirement planning. You will also receive "Things to Know" and key "Things to Do" to improve your financial well-being.These tutorials are available to you for a full year! Learn and take action at your own pace!
3. Access to a Financial COACH. At any point in your process if you need help with any of the tasks or topics you are trying to accomplish or learn, you may request to speak with an Ameriprise advisor free of charge for up to 30 days.
Sponsors and Partners
The Financial Fitness Program is being offered by the Wisconsin Department of Employee Trust Funds in coordination with the Wisconsin Retired Educators Association, Professional Firefighters of Wisconsin, and state and local government employers. Our project partners include:
- Financial Fitness Group
- Ameriprise Financial
- Wisconsin Department of Financial Institutions
- Center for Financial Security at the University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Personal Finance Employee Fund
- University of Oxford
Can you provide more detail on the Financial Fitness CHECKUP?
The Financial Fitness CHECKUP is similar to a health risk assessment for your finances. It is a quick online survey designed to assess and benchmark financial aptitude, habits, and confidence. After you complete the survey, you will be provided your Financial Fitness SCORE, which helps you measure your level of financial stress. You will also be provided detailed results summarizing your financial knowledge, attitudes, and behaviors, as well as a recommended learning plan. Finally, completing the checkup enables you to access to the Financial Fitness ACADEMY, which will support your quest to improve your financial wellness.
Tell me more about the Financial Fitness ACADEMY
The Financial Fitness ACADEMY is like a personal trainer for your finances. It is a financial education platform with a recommendation engine that suggests easy-to-follow course plans, tracks your progress, suggests relevant course work, and keeps you motivated, providing a more in-depth learning experience.
What if I don't like the Financial Fitness ACADEMY's initial recommendations?
There are hundreds of tutorials in the ACADEMY – pick what interests you. Sign into your academy account to access a complete list of offered tutorials.
How does Financial Fitness Program coaching work?
If you sign up for the Financial Fitness ACADEMY, you automatically have access to 30 days of financial coaching with an advisor from Ameriprise Financial, free of charge. These advisors are ready to answer all of your questions related to any of the financial topics mentioned in the tutorials as well as provide meaningful guidance.
Why is it called a Financial Fitness Program?
ETF is challenging Wisconsin public employees to become more financially fit by completing three easy steps of the Financial Fitness Program. The first step is to take the Financial Fitness CHECKUP. After you have completed the checkup, you are eligible for the second step of the program, the Financial Fitness ACADEMY. After you have enrolled, you are eligible for the final step of the program, access to a financial advisor for 30 days.
Is it really free? What's the catch?
Yes, the Financial Fitness Program is free to Wisconsin public employees. There is no cost for the checkup, the academy or 30 days of financial coaching. There is no obligation to continue financial coaching after 30 days. However, as with most employee assistance programs, you may continue to work with a financial advisor for a fee. Your cost would be $25 per month for a basic financial plan – this is approximately a $200 savings.
Why is this being offered?
Wisconsin is one of five organizations selected nationwide to participate in the Financial Fitness Program Pilot provided by the Financial Fitness Group. The program provides independent, unbiased financial education, tools and resources free of charge to individuals taking the program.
Is my information kept private and secure?
Who can I contact if I have more questions about the Financial Fitness Program?
If you have additional questions about the Financial Fitness Program, please contact ETF at
1-877-533-5020 or send an email to ETF's Financial Fitness Program team, ETF_Empower@etf.wi.gov
Financial Fitness Program - Policy & Privacy
- Mention of a trademark, proprietary product, or commercial firm in text or figures does not constitute an endorsement by the State of Wisconsin or the Department of Employee Trust Funds, and does not imply approval to the exclusion of other suitable products or firms.
- For information regarding how the Financial Fitness Program advising/coaching partner (Ameriprise Financial) intends to comply with the requirements of the new U.S. Department of Labor rule, click here.