State of Wisconsin
It's Your Choice 2017
Group Health Insurance Program
(State Employees, Retirees, Continuants and Graduate Assistants)
Employee Pay-all Optional Insurance Plans
Most state agencies offer the following optional insurance plans for you to supplement your group health insurance coverage. Contact your payroll office for applications or change forms (retirees should contact ETF).
Note: UW System and UW Hospital and Clinics employees may have different optional plans available. Check with your human resources/benefits office for details and instructions for 2017. UW System employees may refer to www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits
Change highlights for 2017:
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D): Zurich North America (Zurich) will be replacing The Hartford as the insurer for AD&D coverage. Subscribers to The Hartford will automatically be enrolled in Zurich for 2017, unless you cancel during IYC open enrollment. If you have AD&D coverage, be sure to update your beneficiary information.
- Dental Insurance: Anthem Dental Blue and EPIC Dental Wisconsin have rate changes—some increases, some decreases. Both offer open enrollment for 2017.
- EPIC Benefits+ has rate changes for 2017.
- Long-Term Care Insurance:
Transamerica will not be offered in 2017. Mutual of Omaha continues to be available.
It is important to note:
- If you expect to retire within the next year and will want to carry optional dental insurance, you must enroll during It’s Your Choice open enrollment (if you are not already enrolled).
- Employers do not contribute to the premiums for these plans.
- You may choose a different enrollment level for these plans than for State Group Health Insurance. For instance, if you have a single plan for health insurance, you can choose "employee + spouse" for your dental care, and "family" for your vision care.
- Throughout the year, eligible employees may enroll or make changes to their enrollment based on qualifying events such as marriage, divorce, birth, adoption or loss of other comparable coverage.
- With few exceptions, once enrolled, you must remain in the plan for the full year. Mid-year cancellation procedures follow those for health insurance—see the Frequently Asked Question “How do I cancel coverage.”
- You may cancel your new or existing enrollment during the It’s Your Choice Open Enrollment period.
- Examine waiting periods, exclusions for preexisting conditions and limits on maximum benefits when deciding whether to enroll in an optional insurance plan
- To view a comparison of dental plans and benefits available to you:
1Plans under this category offer open or special enrollment for active employees during this It’s Your Choice Open Enrollment period. Members who currently participate will remain enrolled for 2017 without taking any action. Newly eligible members may enroll within 30 days of their eligibility throughout the year.
2Plans in this category are offering open enrollment for eligible retirees for 2017 during IYC
Optional Insurance Plans
Anthem DentalBlue offers three dental coverage plans:
a) Dentacare HMO (which requires that you use Dentacare providers),
b) Anthem Preferred PPO (which allows you to see out-of-network providers), and
c) Anthem Supplemental, the lower cost option that does not cover diagnostic or preventive procedures and requires that you have other basic dental coverage.
New subscribers have a three-month waiting period for basic and major procedures. Check the web page for Anthem's provider network. See anthem.com/dental-stateofwi/ or call during open enrollment: 1-866-511-4476; balance of year 1-888-589-0852.
EPIC Benefits+ is a multi-part plan, designed to wrap around State of Wisconsin Group Health Insurance. It includes major dental and orthodontic, hospital and surgical Indemnity, Accidental Death and Dismemberment, and optional vision materials insurance. EPIC Benefits+ uses Delta Dental as its dental plan administrator. See www.epiclife.com/products/state_intro.shtml or call 1-800-520-5750.
EPIC Dental Wisconsin
EPIC Dental Wisconsin offers two plan choices:
- Dental Wisconsin PPO is a comprehensive two-tier dental plan using Delta Dental of Wisconsin providers. The plan includes preventive, diagnostic, basic, major and orthodontic coverage.
- Dental Wisconsin Select is a supplemental plan that provides coverage for basic, major and orthodontic services, that wraps around the Uniform Dental Benefit.
EPIC Dental Wisconsin uses Delta Dental as its plan administrator. New enrollees may have a waiting period for all services. For more information visit epiclife.com/wi-state-employees/ or call 1-800-520-5750.
Zurich Accidental Death and Dismemberment
Zurich Accidental Death and Dismemberment provides payments for specific amputation injuries, such as loss of a limb, or for accidental death. You choose a coverage level based on multiples of your salary. It also includes travel insurance and insures against identity theft. This benefit is only available to active employees. For enrollment questions, see your payroll/benefits representative; for other questions, please contact Zurich at firstname.lastname@example.org. For detailed plan information, please visit https://ZurichPlanInfo.qwikcoverage.com.
Mutual of Omaha
Mutual of Omaha offers a long-term care insurance plan through HealthChoice. It is available to employees, their spouses or domestic partners, and the parents of employees, spouses and partners who reside in Wisconsin, and can be purchased any time of year for those who qualify. Each member’s policy will be individually underwritten—premiums are based on that person’s age, gender and health at the time of enrollment. A subscriber can choose from a range of inflation protection options. For more information visit etf.wi.gov/members/benefits_ltci.htm or call 1-800-833-5823.
VSP Vision Care
VSP Vision Care is a national not-for-profit insurance plan, offering personalized eyecare and eyewear services from a diverse network of providers. Members and their covered dependents can receive annual eye exams and coverage allowances towards glasses or contact lenses following a copayment. For more information, please visit VSP's website or call 1-800-400-4569. For UW System employees see uwsystem.vspforme.com/review. For employees under STAR agencies, see staractives.vspforme.com.
For all other employees (non-UW System, non-STAR), see stateofwiemployees.vspforme.com.
Does your employer offer any optional insurance plans?
For a table showing agency names and the insurers available, go to the 2017 Agency/Plan Table.
Note: UW System and STAR employees are not eligible to use VSP's Internet or telephone enrollment process. UW System employees should go to UW System Annual Benefit Enrollment (ABE) website at www.wisconsin.edu/abe for enrollment information. Contact your UW institution's payroll and benefits office if you have questions about the enrollment process.
STAR employees will make all benefits elections through STAR at ess.wi.gov.
Every effort has been made to ensure that this information is accurate, but may be subject to change. Please note revision dates located at the bottom of each page. In the event of conflicting information, federal law, state statute, state health contracts and/or policies and provisions established by the State of Wisconsin Group Insurance Board shall be followed.
This page was last modified on: 10/7/2016 8:35:42 AM