Member Education
forms and publications
about etf
frequently asked questions
contact etf
site map
related links
top of page
members retirees employers governing boards careers at etf

Procedure to Change Gender in myETF Benefits
Effective January 1, 2017

(Revised March 9, 2017)

Changing your gender of record in the myETF Benefits requires you to submit three documents to the Department of Employee Trust Funds for review and validation. myETF Benefits is the system of record for all ETF-administered benefits, including the Wisconsin Retirement System, health benefits, disability and more.

  • Written request
    Submit a request in writing that contains your full name (if changing, provide new and former name) and either your ETF member number or your date of birth, along with a clear statement of your intent to change your recorded gender in myETF Benefits. Please include the gender you are requesting your records be changed to. This request may be in the form of a letter or email. See below for submittal instructions.
  • Proof of identity
    Submit one of the following documents. The document must be current (not expired) and show name and identifying information (birth date or age):
    • U.S. driver's license
    • State-issued non-driver identification card
    • U.S. passport*
    • Employee identification card
    • School identification card
    • U.S. military identification card

  • Proof of gender
    Submit one of the following documents. The document must be current (not expired):
    • U.S. passport showing the new gender*
    • State-issued amended birth certificate showing the new gender*
    • Court order directing legal recognition of change of gender
    • Medical certification of appropriate clinical treatment for gender transition in the form of an original letter from a licensed medical provider
    The medical certification letter must include all of the following:
    • A statement that clinical treatment is being given
    • The date treatment began
    • Your name and birth date
    • The medical provider’s name, address and phone number

Both the proof of identity and proof of gender documents you provide must contain enough personal information, such as your name and birth date, to clearly identify you.

*ETF must receive the original, certified document, which will be returned to you along with the confirmation.

Document Submittal Instructions

  • Active employees and dependents: Submit the documents to your human resources or benefits person at work, or directly to ETF following the instructions for retirees below. Your employer will submit the information to ETF for processing.
  • Retirees and dependents: Submit the documents to ETF via U.S. Postal Service:
    WI Dept of ETF 
    PO Box 7931 
    Madison WI 53707-7931

ETF will process your request within 30 days of receipt and will send you notification of the effective date of the change. If your request is denied, ETF will send you an explanation and information about your appeal rights.

supporting excellence in Wisconsin public service