Department of Employee Trust Funds
Updated May 8, 2014
Military Service - New Law
ETF offers WRS credit for military service under the following programs:
under the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights
Continuous military service credit
military service credit
If your service does not fall into any of these categories, you may be eligible to buy WRS credit for the time you served in the active military, the National Guard or the Reserves.
You must satisfy certain requirements in order to buy this service. Among these are:
- You must currently be working in a WRS position (not retired); and
- You must have an honorable or general discharge (you may not currently be in the military).
Please contact ETF at the phone numbers listed below to learn more about the requirements of this program.
Note: Buying this time can be very expensive. Here are two important things to consider before buying WRS credit:
- Buying this time will increase the amount of your retirement benefit, but you will pay the full cost of this increase.
- Your employer or the WRS will not pay any part of this cost.
If you want to buy WRS credit for your military service, the cost will be based on your age, salary and years of WRS service. Your cost is determined by the following process:
- ETF first calculates the increase to your retirement benefit that is likely to result from the purchase.
- Your cost is this total increase, decreased by 7.2% per year for each year remaining until your projected retirement date. If you are retiring very soon, the cost will be higher than if you plan to retire further in the future.
Because buying this time can be very expensive, you may instead want to consider making additional contributions. These contributions earn interest at the WRS effective rate and may be a better investment for you, depending on your individual situation.
For more information on any of ETF’s military service credit programs or on making additional contributions, please call ETF toll free at 1-877-533-5020 or 608-266-3285. You may also view a live, interactive ETF webinar on additional contributions.