Effective January 1, 2017

(Revised March 14, 2019)

To change your gender of record in myETF Benefits you need to turn in 3 documents to ETF. myETF Benefits is the benefits administration system for all ETF-administered benefits, including WRS, health benefits, disability and more.

Written Request

Turn in a request in writing that has your full name (if changing, give new and former name) and either your ETF member number or your date of birth, along with a clear statement of your intent to change your recorded gender in myETF Benefits. Please include the gender you are requesting your records be changed to. This request may be in the form of a letter or email. See “How to Turn in Documents” below.

Proof of Identity

Submit a copy of one of the following documents. The document must be current (not expired) and show name and birth date or age:

  • U.S. driver's license
  • State-issued non-driver identification card
  • U.S. passport
  • Employee identification card
  • School identification card
  • U.S. military identification card

Proof of Gender

Submit a copy of one of the following documents. The document must be current (not expired):
  • U.S. driver's license showing the new gender
  • U.S. passport showing the new gender
  • State-issued amended birth certificate showing the new gender*
  • Court order directing legal recognition of change of gender
  • Medical certification of clinical treatment for gender transition in the form of an original letter from a licensed medical provider
A medical certification must include all the following:
  • A statement that clinical treatment is being given
  • The date treatment began
  • Your name and birth date
  • The medical provider’s name, address and phone number

The documents you give us must hold enough information, such as your name and birth date, to clearly identify you.

* Wisconsin’s vital records law does not allow ETF to request and accept a photocopy that you have made of your Wisconsin-issued birth certificate. If you would like to turn one in for proof, there are two ways to use a Wisconsin-issued birth certificate as proof of gender.

  • Your first way is to show the certified birth certificate to your employer. Your employer can legally photocopy it, mark it “for administrative purposes” and send the copy to ETF.
  • Your second way is to send a certified copy of your amended Wisconsin-issued birth certificate to ETF directly.

How to Turn in Documents

  • Turn the documents in to your human resources or benefits person at work. Your employer will get the information to ETF for processing; or
  • Turn the documents in to ETF via postal mail, in person or email:
U.S. Postal Service: In Person:

WI Dept of ETF  
PO Box 7931  
Madison WI 53707-7931

WI Dept of ETF
4822 Madison Yards Way
Madison, WI 53705-9100




ETF usually handles requests within 30 days of when the documents are received. ETF will send you notice of the date the change takes effect.