The Group Insurance Board today approved multiple contract extensions, approved recommendations from ETF for the award of life insurance and ICI program administration contracts, and reviewed a plan to reduce avoidable emergency room use in the State of Wisconsin Group Health Insurance Program.
The Board approved the selection of Securian Financial as the Group Life Insurance Program administrator and The Hartford as the Income Continuation Insurance Program administrator, following the completion of two separate Request for Proposals processes. The Department of Employee Trust Funds issued letters of intent to award these contracts to Securian and The Hartford, pending successful contract negotiations. Both vendors currently administer these programs.
ETF provided an update on a strategic initiative to increase member awareness of alternative sites and methods of quality care that are less costly than the emergency room. A member survey on emergency rooms and sites of care was conducted in August, which influenced the development of a communication plan. New educational resources on accessing care options, prevention and treatments will be introduced over the next year.
Other Board Action
The Board also approved:
- A contract extension with Navitus Health Solutions, the Board’s pharmacy benefits manager, through 2024.
- A contract extension with StayWell/WebMD for the Well Wisconsin Program through 2023. StayWell, the current administrator, was recently acquired by WebMD Health Services. The WebMD product line and resources will be used beginning in 2021.
- A contract extension with UnitedHealthcare for the Medicare Advantage plan through 2023.
- A new contractual requirement for all health plans to satisfy ETF information security reporting standards by March 2023 in order to participate in the 2024 plan year. This requirement will provide annual assurance to ETF that all contracted health plans have adequate information system security policies in place to protect member data.
ETF and the Board’s consulting actuary continue to monitor the impact of COVID-19 on the program and are in the early stages of quantifying effects of the pandemic on health, quality, and costs. ETF is also closely monitoring vaccine development.
The Board’s next regularly scheduled meeting is set for February 17, 2021.
For More Information
- Group Insurance Board November 18, 2020 Meeting Agenda and Materials
- Your Health Benefits and COVID-19