The annual It’s Your Choice open enrollment period is September 27 through October 22. This is when you can make changes for next year, including switching health plans, coverage levels, or adding/deleting certain dependents, with an effective date of January 1, 2022. Watch for your It’s Your Choice materials, which will contain complete service and provider network information for all plans, premiums, supplemental plan information, and much more, in a few weeks.
Modest Premium Increases; Minor Benefit Changes for 2022
Premium rate increases for 2022 were recently set, are modest, and less than the national trend for the third year in a row. The overall premium increase for state employees is 3%. For local government employees, the overall increase is 5.8%. Please note that for local government employees, actual premiums will vary, based on the share set by each employer. Employees will receive rate information directly from their employers. State employee premiums are set by the Department of Administration’s Division of Personnel Management.
Here are some notable changes for 2022. Be sure to consult your materials when they arrive for the latest information:
- New Health Plan—Aspirus Health Plan is newly available and will provide coverage in select counties in central Wisconsin.
- Service Area Change—Quartz Community will be Quartz Central and Quartz West. Members currently enrolled in Quartz Community should select a new health plan. If this is not done, the member will be enrolled in a renamed Quartz offering, based on the current location of your current primary care provider.
Medical Benefit Changes
- Coverage added for medically necessary orthognathic surgeries (i.e., corrective jaw surgeries).
- The medical maximum out-of-pocket limit will be updated to follow the annual federal maximum updated values.
- All medical benefits will be applied to the maximum out-of-pocket limit.
- The timeframe requirement for extractions/dental repairs due to accidents has been removed.
Pharmacy Benefit Changes
- Continuous Glucose Monitors are now covered on both the medical and the pharmacy benefit.
- Level 4 pharmacy benefit out-of-pocket limits have been removed.
- Coverage for composite resin fillings for posterior teeth to Uniform Dental benefits has been added.
New! Benefits Mentor Helps with Plan Design Recommendations
State employee participants and non-Medicare retirees: If you need help making health benefits-related decisions, check out our new online tool, IBM Benefits Mentor.* The tool will ask questions about your health care needs and access your claims information housed in our data warehouse (if available) as a basis for personalized plan design recommendations.
Watch for your opportunity to register for Benefits Mentor in mid-September on the It’s Your Choice open enrollment pages on our website.
*ALEX will still be available for University of Wisconsin System employees for plan year 2022.
For More Information
- Your Health Benefits Offered through the State of Wisconsin Group Health Insurance Program
- Your Health Benefits and COVID-19