Revised August 30, 2019
The Group Insurance Board today approved an overall 4% health insurance premium increase and 2020 plan changes for the State of Wisconsin Group Health Insurance Program. The rate increases are less than national trends, according to Segal Consulting, the Board’s consulting actuary .
The overall premiums include medical, pharmacy and administrative costs. Segal said the successful management of the pharmacy benefit program alone has resulted in decreased costs in recent years, including a 1.5% decrease for 2020.
This is the first premium increase for state employees in three years. The state employee share of premiums is set by the Department of Administration’s Division of Personnel Management. ETF will announce premiums before the It’s Your Choice open enrollment period , September 30-October 25.
Local employers have some flexibility in how employee rates are calculated. Employees will receive information directly from their employers.
Health Plan Changes
Security Health Plan has chosen not to participate in the Group Health Insurance Program in 2020. Current Security Health Plan participants must choose a new plan during the open enrollment period this fall. New coverage will begin January 1, 2020. Ninety-seven percent of Security Health Plan providers are covered by other health plans in the program.
In each area where Security Health Plan will no longer be available, there are at least two other options.
The following health plans will expand coverage in 2020:
- Dean Health Plan - Prevea360 will expand to include the following western counties: Barron, Buffalo, Chippewa, Dunn and Eau Claire. Prevea360 will also offer limited provider availability in Pepin County.
- WEA Trust - East will expand to include the following counties: Langlade, Lincoln, Oneida, Price, Taylor and Vilas. WEA Trust - East will also offer limited provider availability in Forest County.
- Network Health will expand to include Marathon County.
It’s Your Choice 2020 materials will be available September 16 and will contain all health benefits decision information.
State Life Insurance Premiums
Beginning April 1, 2020, State Group Life Insurance participants will see a 5%, or approximately $1 per month for a typical employee, increase in their premiums. The monthly premiums for spouse and dependent coverage will decrease about 25 cents per month. Local participant premiums will stay the same for 2020.
- Group Insurance Board August 21, 2019 Meeting Agenda and Materials
- Group Insurance Board May 15, 2019 Meeting Agenda and Materials