2017 SB 577 and 2017 AB 676 make the following changes to the county jailer classification under the Wisconsin Retirement System:
- Classifies county jailers as protective occupation participants under the Wisconsin Retirement System without a requirement that their principal duties involve active law enforcement.
- Provides that county jailers who are employed by a county that did not classify county jailers as protective occupation participants on July 1, 2017 and become protective occupation participants under this bill, are required to pay all employer costs resulting from their classification as a protective occupation participant, including the cost of the duty disability program.
- Provides that county jailers who were classified as protective occupation participants before the bill’s effective date and county jailers hired on or after the bill’s effective date in counties that classified county jailers as protective occupation participants on July 1, 2017 are not required to pay the additional employer costs.
- Permits a county jailer to elect (irrevocable) at the time of hire not to become a protective occupation participant.
- Amends the Municipal Employment Relations Act regarding county jailers.
Please contact Tarna Hunter, ETF’s Government Relations Director, if you have any questions.