What should employers do with late health insurance applications now that open enrollment is over? It depends on the circumstances surrounding the late application.
ETF’s health benefits open enrollment period ran from September 27 - October 22. Employers can continue keying health insurance applications they received during open enrollment until November 12. Additionally, employers can enter applications they receive after October 22 if:
- The employee provides the employer with a written (email is acceptable) explanation for their late submission,
- The employer forwards the letter and health insurance application to ETF for approval, and
- The employer keys the application, after ETF approves the late application.
After November 12, employers can no longer key health insurance applications. Any applications submitted after November 12 require that:
- The employee provides a written (email is acceptable) explanation for their late submission, and
- The employer forwards the letter and application to ETF.
ETF will then accept or reject the application, enter the application, and notify the employer.
If employees submit late applications after January 1, 2022, employers must follow all of the previous requirements for late submissions, and also send ETF a written (email is acceptable) explanation that:
- Outlines how they distribute open enrollment materials, and
- Includes their recommendation for approval or disapproval of the member’s late health insurance application.
Other considerations to note for late submissions:
- All accepted applications submitted prior to the new year will have an effective date of January 1, 2022.
- Any accepted applications submitted from February 1, 2022 - April 15, 2022 will have an effective date on the first of the month of the receipt date.
Employers should use Box or fax (608-267-4549) to submit materials to ETF. Do not use email to protect personal health information and personal identifiable information.
For more information about open enrollment, employers should consult their health insurance manuals:
- State Agency Health Insurance Standards, Guidelines and Administration Employer Manual (ET-1118), Chapter 6
- Local Employer Health Insurance Standards, Guidelines and Administration Manual (ET-1144), Chapter 7
Date Requirements for Accepting Health Insurance Applications
|9/27 - 10/22, 2021||10/23 - 11/12, 2021||11/13 - 12/31, 2021||1/1 - 1/31, 2022||2/1 - 4/15, 2022|
|Can Employers Key Applications?||Yes||Yes||No||No||No|
|Employee letter of explanation required for late applications?||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|ETF approval needed for late applications?||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Employer explanation of how they distribute materials required for late applications?||No||No||No||Yes||Yes|
|Effective Date Of Health Insurance After Application Accepted||1/1/2022||1/1/2022||1/1/2022||1/1/2022||First of month application received|