Per the federal Internal Revenue Service (IRS), wellness incentives are taxed as employment income. You will receive a W-2 statement from ETF or your employer if you are covered under the state group health insurance program and you and/or your dependents received a taxable wellness incentive from your health plan provider or from StayWell. The W-2 will be postmarked by January 31. If you do not receive this form by February 15 or if you misplaced your W-2, contact ETF or your employer to send another one. Please allow one week for mail delivery.
For tax purposes, a wellness incentive payment is reported in the year the payment is issued even if the activity you performed to qualify for the incentive may have been completed the previous year.
If you have questions about your wellness incentive payments:
- Contact StayWell or your health plan provider directly to confirm the payment dates and the incentive amounts issued to you and your enrolled dependents and/or to verify the incentive does not qualify as an IRS Code Section 213(d) medical expense.
- If you are missing a payment, StayWell or your health plan provider can assist with reissuing payments.
- See the StayWell portal for more information about the Well Wisconsin incentive program.
- StayWell can be reached by phone at 1-800-821-6591 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can find your health plan provider's contact information on your member ID card.
If you find incorrect information that cannot be resolved by StayWell or your health plan provider or you believe the wellness incentive should not be included as taxable income on your W-2, contact your employer or ETF and give us:
- Your full name
- Last 4 digits of your Social Security number or your ETF ID
- Address and phone number
- The reason you believe the information is not correct
ETF will research the problem and work to find a resolution as soon as possible.