ETF thanks you for your service to our country. We are ready to help members who can receive WRS creditable service for part or all your active U.S. Military service. This additional service may increase your WRS retirement, disability and certain death benefits.

Types of WRS Military Service Credit

  1. Pre-1974 military service credit:  a state law that applies to members who had military service before January 1, 1974.
  1. Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA): a federal law that applies to uniformed service members coming back from deployment to work for the same WRS employer.
    • Continuous military service credit:  a state law that applies to members who had a break in WRS-covered employment for military service after January 1, 1974. People eligible for this credit are also covered under USERRA.
  1. Other Government Service Purchase:  Members may buy WRS creditable service for eligible time served in the active military, National Guard, or Reserves.

WRS members may qualify for any or all types of military credit. Please contact ETF if you are not sure which types of military service may apply to you.

How to Receive WRS Military Service Credit

You must give ETF a copy of your military service discharge papers to receive military service credit. The papers must show:

  • your date of entry
  • periods of active duty service
  • your date of discharge from active duty (Your military service discharge must be for a reason other than dishonorable)

You can get a copy of your discharge papers (DD-214 or similar) from the Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs website or National Personal Records Center online records request page.

Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs Records Section
P.O. Box 7843
Madison, WI 53707
608-266-1311 or 1-800-947-8387

WRS members on a military leave should contact ETF  to update their address. Please include the member's full name and rank, unit and APO/FPO/DPO with the nine-digit ZIP code.